Hospitals have high rates of non-fatal occupational injuries and illnesses. Nearly 50 percent of injuries and illnesses reported in 2011 among nurses and nursing support staff were musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs).
Your hospital can address the biggest cause of workplace injuries with a comprehensive program to promote safe lifting, repositioning, and transfer of patients.
Safe handling programs can include:
According to OSHA, several states now require hospitals to implement safe patient handling programs, and many more are considering it.
Reducing injuries not only helps workers, but also will improve patient care and the bottom line. This course will help you develop or refine a comprehensive safe patient handling program to protect workers and patients.
To begin your training, click on the module links below. If you are just starting this course, you should start with module 1.
Please login to your student dashboard to access and download this FREE course PDF studyguide. You can save this study guide to your computer for offline studying, or print the study guide if you prefer.Student Login
After studying the course material and answering the quiz questions, it is time to take the final exam. We highly recommend answering the module quiz questions to check your understanding of the course material. The final exam questions are typically developed from these quiz questions.
OSHAcademy course final exams are designed to make sure students have gained a sufficient understanding of the content covered within each course. To help demonstrate this understanding, students must achieve a passing score on course final exams. It is OSHAcademy's policy to protect the integrity of our exams: as a result, we do not provide missed questions to students.
This is an open book exam. Students are permitted to use a separate browser window to review course content while taking the exam. If you do not pass a final exam, you will see a "Retake Exam" button next to the course on your student dashboard.
If you have already paid for certificates, your exam score will be displayed on your student dashboard after successfully passing the final exam. If you chose PDF certificates, you can view and print your certificate and personal transcript from your student dashboard. If you chose original printed documents, they will be prepared and mailed to the address in your student account.
OSHAcademy provides free access to all training materials, including course modules, practice quizzes, exercises, and final exams. However, exam scores, certificates, and transcripts are provided only if you purchase a certificate package to document your training. If you do not require official training documentation, we will archive your exam results should you decide to purchase official certificates later.
1. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014a). MSD Assessment.
2. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014b). Management Support.
3. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014c). Policy/Program Development.
4. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014d). Facility and Patient Needs Assessment.
5. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014e). Facilitating Change.
6. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014f). Busting the Myths.
7. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2014g). Program Evaluation.
8. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.(2013). Effectiveness and Cost Savings.
9. Association of Occupational Health Professionals.(2011). A Resource Guide for Implementing a Safe Patient Handling Program in the Acute Care Setting.