Safety rewards come in many colors, flavors, and varieties. We are all motivated by primarily two types of rewards: extrinsic and intrinsic.
- Extrinsic rewards are tangible and external. You can touch, eat, see, smell, or otherwise use them.
- Money - raise, bonus, stocks
- Awards - plaques, pins, cups, certificates, jackets
- Time off from work
- Social - parties, lunches
- Intrinsic rewards are intangible, internal, and housed within us. They are expressed through the positive recognition other give us and the
positive thoughts think about ourselves.
- Improved self-esteem
- Increased sense of purpose
- Higher credibility
- Feeling of accomplishment