Sample accident investigation event sequence
Understanding the sequence of events leading up to an accident is very important. The following sequence of events is
based on a real-life accident which resulted in the death of an employee.
- Employee #1 returned to work at 12:30 p.m. after lunch to continue laying irrigation pipes.
- At approximately 12:45 p.m. employee #1 began dumping accumulated sand and laying the irrigation mainline pipe.
- Employee #1 oriented the pipe vertically and it Contacted a high voltage power line directly over the work area.
- Employee #2 heard a "zap" and turned to see the mainline pipe falling and employee #1 falling into the irrigation ditch.
- Employee #2 ran to employee #1 and pulled him from the irrigation ditch, laid him on his back and ran about 600 ft. to his truck and placed a call for help on his mobile phone.
- About four minutes later, paramedics arrived and began to administer CPR on employee #1. They also used a heart defibrillator in an attempt to stabilize employee #1.
- At about 1:10 p.m., an ambulance arrived and transported employee #1 to the hospital where he was pronounced dead at 1:30 p.m.